Alternative Writing Assignment
Guidelines and Grading Rubric
As a family nurse practitioner, you must possess excellent physical assessment skills. This alternative writing assignment mirrors the discussion content of the debriefing session and will allow the student to expand their knowledge of physical health assessment principles specific to the advanced practice role.
This assignment is guided by the following Course Outcomes (COs):
1. Apply advanced practice nursing knowledge to collecting health history information and physical examination findings for various patient populations. (PO 1, 2)
2. Differentiate normal and abnormal health history and physical examination findings. (PO 1, 2)
4. Adapt health history and physical examination skills to the developmental, gender-related, age-specific, and special population needs of the individual patient. (PO 1, 2)
The purposes of this assignment are to: (a) identify and articulate advanced assessment health history and physical examination techniques which are relevant to a focused body system (CO 1), (b) differentiate normal and abnormal findings with regard to a disease or condition that impacts the body system (CO 2), and (c) adapt advanced assessment skills if necessary to suit the needs of specific patient populations (CO 4).
NOTE: You are to complete this alternative writing assignment ONLY if you had not participated or do not plan to participate in a debriefing session for the given week.
Due Date: This alternative written assignment is due no later than the Sunday of the week in which you did not attend the weekly debriefing session. For example, if you did not attend a debriefing session for Week 3, this written assignment is due the Sunday at 11:59 p.m. MT of Week 4.
The standard MSN Participation Late Assignment policy applies to this assignment (please see the course syllabus)
Total Points Possible: 25 Points
1. This paper will be graded on the quality of the information, inclusion of evidence-based scholarly resources, use of citations, use of Standard English grammar, and organization based on the required components (see the paper headings and content details below).
2. Submit to the appropriate location in Canvas by 11:59 p.m. MT on Sunday of the week due.
3. The length of the paper is to be no less than 1,500 words, excluding title page and reference list.
4. Create this assignment using Microsoft (MS) Word. You can tell that the document is saved as a MS Word document because it will end in “.docx.”
5. APA format (6th edition) is required in this assignment, explicitly for in-text citations and the reference list. Use 12-point Times New Roman font with 1 inch margins and double spacing. See the APA manual for details regarding proper citation. See resources under Course Resources, “Guidelines for Writing Professional Papers” for further clarification.
6. Organize the headings and content of your paper using the outline below:
a. Identify and briefly discuss the body system selected for the topic of this paper
b. Discuss the physiology (structure and function) of the body system including details about the major organ systems (if applicable)
c. Discuss relevant health history questions (subjective data) pertaining to the body system
d. Discuss an overview of the objective data and expected normal physical examination findings for this body system
e. Discuss special physical assessment examination techniques or procedures specific to assessing this body system
f. Discuss how you might adapt your physical assessment skills or techniques to accommodate each of the following specific populations:
g. Identify one major disease or disease process that may significantly impact this body system
h. Discuss the expected abnormal physical examination findings that may be associated with this disease or disease process
i. Summarize the key points
Preparing the Paper:
1. Select a focused body system from the weekly lesson which corresponds with the week of the written assignment.
2. Carefully read and review the selected body system in your course textbooks.
3. Incorporate at least one scholarly peer-reviewed journal article that relates to the body system. It may be useful to identify an article that relates to a disease that impacts the body system.
4. The paper must clearly articulate the relevance of advanced physical assessment skills, techniques, application of advanced practice knowledge, and assessment modification (when necessary) to accommodate for specific patient populations.
5. Provide concluding statements that should summarize key points of the overall assignment content.
6. In-text citations and reference page(s) must be written using proper APA format (6th edition).
|Application of Knowledge, Analysis, and Clarity||10||40%||Student demonstrates application of course knowledge consistent with the principles of advanced physical assessment; content is specific to the focus topic, organized, and clearly presented.|
|Adapted Physical Assessment Skills to Special Populations, Disease Process, and Summary||10||40%||Discussed appropriate clinical reasoning and judgment as evidenced by: adaption of physical assessment skills or techniques to accommodate special populations;
identified one major disease or disease process and expected examination findings; and summarized key points
|Writing Mechanics and Evidence-based Resources||5||20%||Paper meets the minimum 1,500 word limit (not including the reference list); Paper is fully supported by evidence from appropriate Evidence-based, peer-reviewed resources published within the last 5 years; In-text citations and full references are provided using proper APA formatting.|
|Total||25||100||A quality assignment will meet or exceed all of the above requirements.|
Chamberlain College of Nursing NR509 Advanced Physical Assessment
|10 POINTS||0 POINTS|
|Application of Knowledge, Analysis, and Clarity||Student demonstrates knowledge consistent with the principles of advanced physical assessment; content is specific to the focus topic, organized, and clearly presented.||Student did not demonstrate knowledge consistent with the principles of advanced physical assessment; content was missing, unorganized, and unclear.|
|10 POINTS||0 POINTS|
|Adapted Physical Assessment Skills to Special Populations, Disease Process, and Summary||Discussed how to adapt physical assessment skills or techniques to accommodate special populations; and
identified one major disease or disease process and expected examination findings; summarized key points.
|Student did not adapt physical assessment skills or techniques to accommodate special populations; and did not
identify one major disease or disease process and expected examination findings; did not summarize key points.
|5 POINTS||0 POINTS|
|Writing Mechanics and Evidence-based Resources||Paper meets the minimum 1,500 word limit (not including the reference list); Paper is fully supported by evidence from appropriate sources published within the last 5 years; and Evidence-based, peer- reviewed journal article cited; In-text citations and full references are provided.||Paper does not meet the minimum 1,500 word limit (not including the reference list)
Paper contains no evidence-based practice reference or citation.
|Total Possible- Satisfactory = 25 Points||25 Points||0 Points|
|NR509 January 2018||4|
The post As a family nurse practitioner, you must possess excellent physical assessment skills. appeared first on Infinite Essays.
“Looking for a Similar Assignment? Get Expert Help at an Amazing Discount!”
The post As a family nurse practitioner, you must possess excellent physical assessment skills. first appeared on nursing writers.