Ever wonder why some people become addicted to alcohol or drugs and other do not? While it is easy to suggest that addiction develops from alcohol or drug experimentation early in life, only 12% of the general population will develop addictions. Though approximately 85% report experimentation with drugs or alcohol by young adulthood. In this discussion, you will explore how substance and process addictions relate to altered brain function. You will also discuss how some behaviors can become as addictive as alcohol or drugs.
After completing the assigned Readings and watching the TED Talks video, answer the following. Hari, J. (2015, June). Everything we know about addiction is wrong [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.ted.com/talks/johann_hari_everything_you_think_you_know_about_addiction_is_wrong?
1. How does addiction develop (use either a specific drug/alcohol or behavior in your response)?
2. Explain the debate about whether internet gaming should be recognized as a formal addiction. How is it listed in the DSM-5? Do you think that it should be listed as an addiction, why or why not?
Referring to the assigned video and your reading, describe at least one concept that you learned in this unit. How that knowledge will help you to treat your future clients.
DISCUSSION 2 YOUR POST SHOULD BE 300 WORDS
There are many screening and assessment tools used in the diagnostic process. Screening tools are often used by those who are not addiction professionals to help determine whether someone might require addition treatment. Assessment tools are used by addiction professionals to determine an accurate addictions diagnosis and placement for care. In this discussion, evaluate one of the mentioned assessment tools in the chapter. Choose from either the MMPI-2 or the PAI for your response.
1. Describe the assessment (MMPI-2 or PAI).
2. Explain how the individual scales are used in addiction diagnosis.
3. Discuss potential problems that occur when giving a client an assessment that asks for personal information. What are some strategies used by professionals to make this process easier.
DISCUSSION 3 YOUR POST SHOULD BE 300 WORDS
Using the scenario below, think about how you would approach working with this client. Consider what his main problems are and how his thought patterns or behaviors are preventing him from living a functional life. Notice which problem he identifies, because that is the problem that he wants to work on with you. Be aware that often the problem that you identify as being deeper is related to the problem that the client identifies.
Demarcus is a 25-year old male client diagnosed with severe, Cocaine Use Disorder. He is court-ordered to residential addiction treatment. You are his counselor and this is his first meeting with you. He has been diagnosed and placed in your facility already, so you now want to get to know about him. He does not want to tell you much and keeps repeating, “I don’t have a problem. All I do is a little weed once in a while.” You have understand that the client’s presenting problem is that he wants to get through with treatment (he stated,” I don’t need to be here, just do whatever to get me out.”). His presenting problem is not that he has to admit to being addicted- that will come as you focus your work on the one thing that will motivate him- “getting out.”
For this discussion, please do the following:
1. Using what you learned in your assigned reading, develop two questions that you would ask Demarcus that use the Motivational Interviewing strategies. The focus of the questions is to try to create some positive motivation to engage in counseling (to meet his presenting problem of “getting out”).
2. Then, using one of the psychotherapeutic models in your assigned reading, suggest what treatment strategies you might try to help him to begin accepting that his addiction has been causing him problems. Feel free to add more information to the scenario as needed.